[sgmb id=”2″]Nineteen Eighty Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel published in 1949 by George Orwell. 1984 is set in Airstrip One, which was formerly known as Great Britain. Airstrip One is part of the superstate Oceania. The political regime “ingsoc” dictate to the residents and persecutes those who think independently – “thoughtcrime”, which is enforced by the “Thought Police”.
The regime is overseen by Big Brother. The main character in 1984 is Winston Smith who works for the minister of truth, which is responsible for propaganda. His job is to rewrite past newspaper articles to ensure they represent ingsoc in the best light possible.
Donald Trump announced his candidacy for the 2016 Presidential Election on June 16 2015, from this date to the present he has presented many controversial views and at times has lied to the public through use of “alternative facts”.
Examples of recent controversies are:
- 2005-2011 – Opens Trump University (un-accredited, for profit school) which is eventually shut down amid lawsuits from students and the New York Attorney General ($40 million) alleging it was a scam
- 2012 October – Offers Barack Obama $5 million to the charity of his choice in exchange for the president releasing his birth certificate
- 2015 June 29 – NBC cuts business ties with Trump following his immigration remarks
- 2015 August 7 – Says Fox News’ Megyn Kelly has “blood coming out of whatever”
- 2015 October 19 – Tweets that we “could use a big fat dose of global warming” because “it’s really cold outside”
- 2015 November 12 – Says he would “bomb the shit out of ISIS”
- 2015 December 7 – Calls for “total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States”
- 2016 January 23 – Says he “could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody” and not lose voter support
- 2016 February 6 – Says he’d bring back “a hell of a lot worse that waterboarding”
- 2016 May 1 – Says China is “raping” the USA with its trade policy
- 2017 January 2 – Following his inauguration he stated “This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe”
- 2017 January 23 – In private meeting with congressional leaders, President Trump says 3 to 5 million illegal votes cost him the popular vote
- 2017 February 3 – Senior Federal Judge James Robart of the united States District Court for the Western District of Washington temporarily blocks President Trump’s order to temporarily block immigration from seven middle-eastern nations. Trump called the 69-year-old Robart a “so-called judge” whose “ridiculous” opinion temporarily lifting the president’s immigration ban “essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country”.
- 2017 February 13 – Michael Flynn resigns as National Security Advisor following alleged discussions with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak regarding the U.S. sanctions on Russia
- 2017 February 16 – President Trump holds a 75-minute long press conference where he defends his administration’s work in the first few weeks, criticizes “dishonest” press coverage thereof, denies any Russian connections and questions Hillary Clinton’s conduct towards Russia.
Any news media which reports an article which Trump dislikes is called “fake news”. In his press conference of the 18th February 2017, he branded his critics in the US press “not my enemy” but the “enemy of the American people”.
Trumps first month in office have seen a huge outbreak of propaganda, the parallels between 1984 and the new Trump administration are all too plain to see.
Orwell said political language can be “designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind”.
The recent effect of Brexit and Trump has generated a “post-truth” uneasiness in the media and the public.