Paul Manafort and business associates, Rick Gates, appeared in a Washington DC court on Monday to deny 12 charges, including conspiracy to launder money.
The former campaign manager was placed under house arrest and ordered to post a $10m (£8m) bond while Mr Gates was also placed under house arrest and ordered to post a bond of $5m.
The indictment against the two men claims that “MANAFORT and GATES generated tens of millions of dollars in income as a result of their Ukraine work. In order to hide Ukraine payments from United States authorities, from approximately 2006 through to at least 2016, MANAFORT and GATES laundered the money through scores of United States and foreign corporations, partnerships, and bank accounts.”
It later states that “MANAFORT used his hidden overseas wealth to enjoy a lavish lifestyle in the United States, without paying taxes on that income.”
The indictment then states “in total, more than $75,000,000 flowed through the offshore accounts. MANAFORT laundered more than $18,000,000, which was used by him to buy property, goods, and services in the United States, income that he concealed from the United States Treasury, the Department of Justice, and others. GATES transferred more than $3,000,000 from the offshore accounts to other accounts that he controlled.”
The indictment later reads “because MANAFORT and GATES, among other things, directed a campaign to lobby United States officials on behalf of the Government of Ukraine, the President of Ukraine, and Ukrainian political parties, they were required by law to report to the United States their work and fees. MANAFORT and GATES did not do so. Instead, when the Department of Justice sent inquiries to MANAFORT and GATES in 2016 about their activities, MANAFORT and GATES responded with a series of false and misleading statements.”
Election campaign adviser, George Papadopoulos to Donald Trump has pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about the timing of meetings with alleged Russian agents.
George Papadopoulos admitted the talks happened while he worked for Mr Trump, not before, court papers show.
He said he had been told the Russians possessed “dirt” on Hillary Clinton.
According to the court documents, Mr Trump’s former foreign policy adviser admitted on 5 October 2017 to having impeded the FBI’s investigation into alleged collusion with Russia.
The document states that “GEORGE PAPADOPOULOS, who served as a foreign policy advisor for the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump (the “Campaign”), made material false statements and material omissions during an interview with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI’.) that took place on January 27, 2017. At the time of the interview, the FBI had an open investigation into the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, including the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Campaign and the Russian government, and whether there was any coordination between the Campaign and Russia’s efforts. The FBI opened and coordinated the investigation in Washington, D.C.”
- Trump comments on Russia
- Christopher Steele dossier 2017/01/10
- Michael Flynn Resignation
- Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation
- Trump news conference 2017/02/16
- James Comey testimony 2017/03/20
- Sally Yates testimony 2017/05/08
- FBI director James Comey fired by Trump 2017/05/09
- Why did trump fire Comey
- Trump leaks classified information to the Russians 2017/05/18
- Kushner proposes back channel with Russians 2017/05/18
- James Comey testifies to Senate intelligence Committee 2017/06/08
- Trump probed for obstruction of justice 2017/06/15
- Donald Trump Jnr Issues Statement to NY Times regarding June 9 2016 Meeting with Russian Lawyer 2017/07/08
- Donald Trump Jnr admits he met Russian Lawyer
- Donald Trump Jnr releases email chain 2017/07/11
- Trump Attacks Sessions Over Recusal 2017/07/19
- Kushner testifies to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/24
- Paul Manafort Meets With Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/25
- Trump Says Mueller’s Job Is Not ‘Safe’ 2017/07/25
- FBI Raids Manafort’s Home 2017/07/26
- White House Admits Trump ‘Weighed In’ on Don Jr.’s Misleading Statement 2017/08/01
- Robert Mueller Impanels Grand Jury in DC 2017/08/03
- Russian Lobbyist Testifies before Mueller’s Grand Jury 2017/08/11
- Mueller Subpoenas Grand Jury Witnesses in Manafort Probe 2017/08/25
- Facebook confirms that Russians paid for adverts 2017/09/06
- Donald Trump Jnr issues prepared remarks and appears in front of the Senate Intelligence committee 2017/09/07
- US government wiretapped Paul Manafort during 16 and 17 2017/09/17
- Mueller requests White House documents related to Trump’s actions as President 2017/09/20
- Russian-funded Facebook ads backed Stein, Sanders and Trump 2017/09/26
- Christopher Steele Talking to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/10/06
- Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Joint Press Conference 2017/10/16
- Jeff Sessions appears in front of Senate Judiciary Committee 2017/10/18
- Trump furious at continuing Russian inestigation 2017/10/29
- Paul Manafort charged with conspiracy to launder money and George Papadopoulos plea bargain 2017/10/30