Special counsel Robert Mueller has impaneled a grand jury to issue subpoenas and compel witness testimony as he probes Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election.
“In a case like this, where you have a lot of documents that are going be necessary, grand jury subpoenas are a pretty early phenomenon,” said Philip Allen Lacovara, a former U.S. deputy solicitor general who served as counsel to Watergate special prosecutors.
The grand jury is sitting in Washington and has been active for several weeks, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Donald trump told thousands of supporters at a rally in Huntingdon, West Virginia “Democrat lawmakers will have to decide. They can continue their obsession with the Russian hoax, or they can serve the interests of the American people,”
“They are trying to cheat you out of the leadership you want with a fake story that is demeaning to all of us and most importantly demeaning to our country and demeaning to our Constitution,” he said. “I just hope that the final determination is a truly honest one, which is what the millions of people who gave us our big win in November deserve.”
Reuters reported that the special counsel has already used the grand jury to subpoena records related to Donald Trump Jnr, and his meeting with Paul Manafort, Jared Kushner and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya during the presidential campaign.
Grand juries conduct their work in secret, with news of their actions typically breaking only when they return criminal indictments. Prosecutors ask grand juries to consider whether there is evidence to indict someone of a crime, the impanelment of a grand jury not an indication that an indictment is likely or imminent.
Jay Sekulow, an attorney for Trump, said a grand jury was not a cause for alarm.
“With respect to the impaneling of the grand jury, we have no reason to believe that the president is under investigation,” he said in a statement to The Washington Times.
- Trump comments on Russia
- Christopher Steele dossier 2017/01/10
- Michael Flynn Resignation
- Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation
- Trump news conference 2017/02/16
- James Comey testimony 2017/03/20
- Sally Yates testimony 2017/05/08
- FBI director James Comey fired by Trump 2017/05/09
- Why did trump fire Comey
- Trump leaks classified information to the Russians 2017/05/18
- Kushner proposes back channel with Russians 2017/05/18
- James Comey testifies to Senate intelligence Committee 2017/06/08
- Trump probed for obstruction of justice 2017/06/15
- Donald Trump Jnr Issues Statement to NY Times regarding June 9 2016 Meeting with Russian Lawyer 2017/07/08
- Donald Trump Jnr admits he met Russian Lawyer
- Donald Trump Jnr releases email chain 2017/07/11
- Trump Attacks Sessions Over Recusal 2017/07/19
- Kushner testifies to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/24
- Paul Manafort Meets With Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/25
- Trump Says Mueller’s Job Is Not ‘Safe’ 2017/07/25
- FBI Raids Manafort’s Home 2017/07/26
- White House Admits Trump ‘Weighed In’ on Don Jr.’s Misleading Statement 2017/08/01
- Robert Mueller Impanels Grand Jury in DC 2017/08/03
- Russian Lobbyist Testifies before Mueller’s Grand Jury 2017/08/11
- Mueller Subpoenas Grand Jury Witnesses in Manafort Probe 2017/08/25
- Facebook confirms that Russians paid for adverts 2017/09/06
- Donald Trump Jnr issues prepared remarks and appears in front of the Senate Intelligence committee 2017/09/07
- US government wiretapped Paul Manafort during 16 and 17 2017/09/17
- Mueller requests White House documents related to Trump’s actions as President 2017/09/20
- Russian-funded Facebook ads backed Stein, Sanders and Trump 2017/09/26
- Christopher Steele Talking to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/10/06
- Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Joint Press Conference 2017/10/16
- Jeff Sessions appears in front of Senate Judiciary Committee 2017/10/18
- Trump furious at continuing Russian inestigation 2017/10/29
- Paul Manafort charged with conspiracy to launder money and George Papadopoulos plea bargain 2017/10/30