On the 15th june it was reported by the US media that President Donald Trump was being investigated by special counsel Robert Mueller for possible obstruction of justice.
They say senior intelligence officials will be interviewed on whether Mr Trump tried to end an inquiry into his sacked national security adviser, and about the firing of FBI chief James Comey.
Mr Trump tweeted that investigation is “phony story”.
Mr Mueller is leading an FBI inquiry into Russian meddling in the election.
President Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion with Russia. On Thursday, he described the ongoing inquiry as a “witch hunt” that was “led by some very bad and conflicted people”.
The Washington Post says the decision by Mr Mueller to investigate President Trump’s own conduct is a major turning point in the investigation, which until recently focused on the Russian angle.
Why is the president being investigated?
The obstruction of justice investigation began just days after President Trump fired former Director of the FBI, James Comey on 9 May – https://awakeposttruth.com/fbi-director-james-comey-fired-by-trump-20170509/
Comey, who had been leading one of several Russia inquiries, testified to Congress last week that Trump had pressured him to drop the investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn – https://awakeposttruth.com/trump-asked-comey-to-shut-down-michael-flynn-investigation/.
Mr Flynn was sacked in February for failing to reveal the extent of his contacts with Sergei Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to Washington – https://awakeposttruth.com/michael-flynn-resignation/.
Comey testified under oath that Mr Trump had told him during a private meeting: “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”
Mr Comey had testified he was “sure” Mr Mueller was looking at whether Mr Trump had obstructed justice.
For more information on why Trump fired Comey – https://awakeposttruth.com/why-did-trump-fire-comey/
How has Trump responded?
Trump tweeted early on Thursday morning, saying: “They made up a phony collusion with the Russians story, found zero proof, so now they go for obstruction of justice on the phony story. Nice.”
Mark Corallo, a spokesman for Mr Trump’s lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, said: “The FBI leak of information regarding the president is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal.”
Mr Trump has repeatedly railed against leaks from the FBI, saying this is the important story, not alleged collusion with Russia, which he has dismissed as “fake news”.
- Trump comments on Russia
- Christopher Steele dossier 2017/01/10
- Michael Flynn Resignation
- Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation
- Trump news conference 2017/02/16
- James Comey testimony 2017/03/20
- Sally Yates testimony 2017/05/08
- FBI director James Comey fired by Trump 2017/05/09
- Why did trump fire Comey
- Trump leaks classified information to the Russians 2017/05/18
- Kushner proposes back channel with Russians 2017/05/18
- James Comey testifies to Senate intelligence Committee 2017/06/08
- Trump probed for obstruction of justice 2017/06/15
- Donald Trump Jnr Issues Statement to NY Times regarding June 9 2016 Meeting with Russian Lawyer 2017/07/08
- Donald Trump Jnr admits he met Russian Lawyer
- Donald Trump Jnr releases email chain 2017/07/11
- Trump Attacks Sessions Over Recusal 2017/07/19
- Kushner testifies to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/24
- Paul Manafort Meets With Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/25
- Trump Says Mueller’s Job Is Not ‘Safe’ 2017/07/25
- FBI Raids Manafort’s Home 2017/07/26
- White House Admits Trump ‘Weighed In’ on Don Jr.’s Misleading Statement 2017/08/01
- Robert Mueller Impanels Grand Jury in DC 2017/08/03
- Russian Lobbyist Testifies before Mueller’s Grand Jury 2017/08/11
- Mueller Subpoenas Grand Jury Witnesses in Manafort Probe 2017/08/25
- Facebook confirms that Russians paid for adverts 2017/09/06
- Donald Trump Jnr issues prepared remarks and appears in front of the Senate Intelligence committee 2017/09/07
- US government wiretapped Paul Manafort during 16 and 17 2017/09/17
- Mueller requests White House documents related to Trump’s actions as President 2017/09/20
- Russian-funded Facebook ads backed Stein, Sanders and Trump 2017/09/26
- Christopher Steele Talking to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/10/06
- Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Joint Press Conference 2017/10/16
- Jeff Sessions appears in front of Senate Judiciary Committee 2017/10/18
- Trump furious at continuing Russian inestigation 2017/10/29
- Paul Manafort charged with conspiracy to launder money and George Papadopoulos plea bargain 2017/10/30