Paul Manafort is a Republican strategist and former Trump campaign manager. He resigned from that post over questions about his extensive lobbying overseas, including in Ukraine where he represented pro-Russian interests. Robert Mueller has put together a grand jury to investigate the matter further.
Donald Trump Jnr
Donald Trump Jnr, met with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya on June 9 2016 at Trump Tower in New York. He said in an initial statement that the meeting was about Russia halting adoptions of its children by US citizens. Then, he said it was regarding the Magnitsky Act, a US law blacklisting Russian human rights abusers. In a final statement, Trump Jnr released a chain of emails that revealed he took the meeting in hopes of getting incriminating information about Hillary Clinton’s alleged financial ties to Russia. Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort were also at the same meeting.
Jared Kushner is President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and a key adviser to the White House. He met with a Russian banker appointed by Russian President Vladimir Putin in December.
Music publicist Rob Goldstone is a contact of the Trump family through the previously Trump-owned 2013 Miss Universe pageant, which took place in Moscow. In June 2016, he wrote to Donald Trump Jnr offering a meeting with Russian lawyer, Natalya Veselnitskaya, who had incriminating information about Hillary Clinton. In an email chain released by Mr Trump Jr, Mr Goldstone seemed to indicate Russian government’s support of Donald Trump’s campaign.
Aras and Emin Agalarov
Aras Agalarov is a wealthy Moscow-based real estate magnate and son Emin is a pop star. Both played a role in putting on the previously Trump-owned 2013 Miss Universe pageant in Moscow. They allegedly had information about Hillary Clinton and offered that information to the Trump campaign through a lawyer with whom they had worked with, Natalia Veselnitskaya, and music publicist Rob Goldstone.
Natalia Veselnitskaya is a Russian lawyer with ties to the Kremlin. She has worked on real estate issues and reportedly counted the FSB as a client in the past. Natalia Veselnitskaya met with Donald Trump Jnr, Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort in Trump Tower on 9 June 2016 but denies the allegation that she went there promising information on Hillary Clinton’s alleged financial ties to Russia.
Michael Flynn was named as Trump’s National Security Adviser but was forced to resign from his post for inappropriate communication with Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak.
Mr Kislyak, the former long-time Russian ambassador to the US, is at the centre all Russian contacts said to connect President Donald Trump’s campaign with Russia.
Roger Stone claimed in 2016 that he had backchannel communications with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and that he knew they were going to release damaging documents to the campaign of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
The US attorney general was forced to recuse himself from the Trump-Russia investigation after it was learned that he had lied about meeting with Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak.
Carter Page is a former advisor to the Trump campaign and has a background working as an investment banker at Merrill Lynch. Carter Page had invested in oil companies connected to Russia and had admitted that US Russia sanctions had hurt his bottom line.
JD Gordon met with Russian Ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak during the 2016 Republian National Convention to discuss how the US and Russia could work together to combat Islamist extremism. The meeting came days before a massive leak of DNC emails that has been connected to Russia.
James Comey was fired from his post as head of the FBI by President Donald Trump. The FBI had just begun an investigation into potential links between Trump’s team and Russia.
Preet Bahara refused, alongside 46 other US district attorney’s across the country, to resign once President Donald Trump took office.
Sally Yates, a former Deputy Attorney General, was running the Justice Department while President Donald Trump’s pick for attorney general awaited confirmation. Sally Yates had warned the White House about potential ties former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn to Russia after discovering those ties during the FBI’s investigation into the Trump campaign’s connections to Russia.
Appointed in May, Robert Mueller has a broad mandate from the justice department to investigate possible links or co-ordination between Mr Trump’s election campaign and the Russian government, and to pursue issues that might arise as a result.
- Trump comments on Russia
- Christopher Steele dossier 2017/01/10
- Michael Flynn Resignation
- Trump asked Comey to shut down Flynn investigation
- Trump news conference 2017/02/16
- James Comey testimony 2017/03/20
- Sally Yates testimony 2017/05/08
- FBI director James Comey fired by Trump 2017/05/09
- Why did trump fire Comey
- Trump leaks classified information to the Russians 2017/05/18
- Kushner proposes back channel with Russians 2017/05/18
- James Comey testifies to Senate intelligence Committee 2017/06/08
- Trump probed for obstruction of justice 2017/06/15
- Donald Trump Jnr Issues Statement to NY Times regarding June 9 2016 Meeting with Russian Lawyer 2017/07/08
- Donald Trump Jnr admits he met Russian Lawyer
- Donald Trump Jnr releases email chain 2017/07/11
- Trump Attacks Sessions Over Recusal 2017/07/19
- Kushner testifies to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/24
- Paul Manafort Meets With Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/07/25
- Trump Says Mueller’s Job Is Not ‘Safe’ 2017/07/25
- FBI Raids Manafort’s Home 2017/07/26
- White House Admits Trump ‘Weighed In’ on Don Jr.’s Misleading Statement 2017/08/01
- Robert Mueller Impanels Grand Jury in DC 2017/08/03
- Russian Lobbyist Testifies before Mueller’s Grand Jury 2017/08/11
- Mueller Subpoenas Grand Jury Witnesses in Manafort Probe 2017/08/25
- Facebook confirms that Russians paid for adverts 2017/09/06
- Donald Trump Jnr issues prepared remarks and appears in front of the Senate Intelligence committee 2017/09/07
- US government wiretapped Paul Manafort during 16 and 17 2017/09/17
- Mueller requests White House documents related to Trump’s actions as President 2017/09/20
- Russian-funded Facebook ads backed Stein, Sanders and Trump 2017/09/26
- Christopher Steele Talking to Senate Intelligence Committee 2017/10/06
- Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Joint Press Conference 2017/10/16
- Jeff Sessions appears in front of Senate Judiciary Committee 2017/10/18
- Trump furious at continuing Russian inestigation 2017/10/29
- Paul Manafort charged with conspiracy to launder money and George Papadopoulos plea bargain 2017/10/30